Sunday, April 14, 2013

capitalism and agency

I feel like we live in a world where people are blaming capitalism for the world's evils, this is like being mad at a dollar for spending itself.

I am reminded that the high priest of the court was willing to pay Judas 30 pieces of silver to betray Christ on charges that were known to be false.  No scruples were violated to fund the sin.  Later when Judas tries to return the money, they don't put it into the temple treasury because the money is tainted.  Strangely, now the scruples are introduced.

If my product or service is used for evil, then am I tainted as well?  Does it depend on my foreknowledge of the evil practice?  When it is brought to my awareness, do I claim to be a victim of a larger system or do I change what I do?

In all these cases I am glad that I get to choose what to do, and that I have a system that lets me create a new idea and try to sell it to others.  If a person does not control the right to markets and capital, then they do not really have agency to decide any of the things that I have been writing about so far.

Free markets and capitalism do allow for evil people to manipulate the system and increase suffering, while still thinking that their hands are clean from the blood and sins of their generation.  But every other system still allows for graft, cronyism, and abuse; but does not simultaneously provide greater opportunity for accountability, beneficence, or charity.

image from Edelomahony

No comments: